The USPS increased the cost of postage today (August 29, 2021) based on approval from the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC). Postage increases are usually announced in November and take effect in January. This is the second price increase this year. There is usually only one increase per year that is designed not to exceed the rate of inflation.
This is the latest action taken by the USPS executing against the 10-year plan called Delivering for America. The USPS has announced that these changes are essential for building a sustainable service in the years to come. This plan has been widely reported in the media, as leading to slower delivery times, higher prices, and in some cases, more limited hours of retail service at post offices. The timing of these changes, just prior to the recent presidential election, which was more dependent on mail-in ballets due to COVID restrictions, has drawn the ire of some lawmakers as well.
Separately, the USPS announced last week (August 26, 2021), that service delivery performance for the fourth quarter was the best in over five years. Here are the highlights on that announcement:
● First-Class Mail: Delivered 88.8 percent of First-Class Mail on time against the USPS service performance standard, an improvement of 1.3 percentage points from the third quarter.
● Marketing Mail: Delivered 92.7 percent of Marketing Mail on time against the USPS service performance standard, an improvement of 1.7 percentage points from the third quarter. This metric reached 93.9% for the week of August 14 – 20.
● Periodicals: Delivered 82.1 percent of Periodicals on time against the USPS service standard, an improvement of 2.9 percentage points from the third quarter.
Here is a summary of the most recent changes in postal rates. A complete list of the postage increases can be found at USPS August price increase.
- Full Rate First Class Forever stamps increase $.03 from $.55 to $.58 each
- Presorted First Class Commercial Letters increase $.03 – $.035 each
- First Class Postcards (now up to 6×9) increase about $.04 each
- EDDM Flats increase about $.01 each
- Standard Rate Marketing Mail Commercial Letters increase $.015 – $.026 each
The good news for clients of Zairmail is that postage rates and prices will not change until Labor Day (September 6, 2021). The price of a 6 x 9 postcard will reflect the lower postcard rate. If you have a campaign planned, submit it this week, and lock in lower pricing, before postage increases.
Zairmail is the fastest, easiest, and most cost effective way to send (postal) direct mail.
We would appreciate the opportunity to assist with your direct marketing needs.
Zairmail (www.zairmail.com) is the fastest and easiest way to send (real) postal mail. Give us a call anytime at 888.898.0066, we would be happy to help with your direct mail needs.